fiber diva

This is the chronicle of one woman's forays into knitting, crocheting, spinning, embroidery, papercrafts, and whatever else catches my fancy at any given time. Oh, and I talk about my cats a lot, too.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Tales from a spin to knit swap

Well, finally got my February (ahem) spin to knit package out to my poor, patient downstream pal! This is another silk-merino blend (50-50) that I made from laps dyed by Leah at Yarn or a Tale. This is spun on a hand-spindle, one of the Bosworth midis, but I managed about a fingering weight throughout most of it. I also sent some samples of different rovings that I've bought in the months since I first started spinning, but I didn't get pics. I haven't checked to see if Brooke (my downstream pal) has gotten it yet, but I'm hoping that she'll like it when it comes in.

And since I'm being so late, I'll finally post the great yarn and goodies that my upstream pal, Holly (from Oceans of Fiber), sent in my February package that she actually got to me in February! (Wow, people who send Feb packages in Feb.....I'm overwhelmed by that level of organization ;-).

And not only on time, but this is really fun yarn. When Holly and I started corresponding, she wasn't sure that my tastes aren't quite a bit more conservative than hers, and that still may be, but I just love the colors in the yarn she sent me. I'm not sure the pictures do it justice, really. It's also quite a bit softer than I think the pictures suggest. Along with the yarn, Holly sent me this lovely batt, called Mermaid, to spin up, too. It's a blend of different fibers in gorgeous bright shades of of blues and greens. Mermaid is very much the right name for it. (this is the spun yarn and the batt together.) I'm now trying to decide what to make with them that will do them justice! I'll keep you posted!

3 Comments:

  • At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Guess what arrived in the mail today?? YOUR PACKAGE!! & I LOVE IT. The mailman came in to my office with my stamp order - and said "I am here to bring you these (handing me the stamps) and THIS! (as he brings the package out from behind his back). He knows I like "fluffy" envelopes and he knows I spin and knit. He was almost as excited as I was!! thank you thank you thank you.

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger fleecyknits said…

    Wow! Everything is so gorgeous it almost makes me want to try spinning again. Almost. ;-)

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I still have not knit up your handspun, but take it to our local guild meetings for show and tell - other spinners continue to admire your work and offer suggestions on what it should be knit up as - socks are the leading contender! Sorry to hear about your co-worker - stay strong.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home