fiber diva

This is the chronicle of one woman's forays into knitting, crocheting, spinning, embroidery, papercrafts, and whatever else catches my fancy at any given time. Oh, and I talk about my cats a lot, too.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Just a little note about spindles

Because one of my swap pals was asking what spindles I have, I thought I'd post a bit about my burgeoning spindle collection. I stared out with a cheap sheep from Grafton fibers, and I have to say that I'm a big fan of it. I did a lot of spinning and learning on it, with a variety of fiber types, before I decided that I was probably going to keep spinning, so it would be ok to buy more spindles.

The next I bought were a couple of Bosworth's "bossies." I love the spindles but I seem to order challenging wood choices, because I ended up waiting a good while for the first 3 I bought (two middies in paduak and purplehear and a cute little mini in pau amarillo) and a second order seems to be in limbo. Course the spindles themselves are fabulous, so I guess it's worth the wait.

The most recent spindles I've bought (just before the holidays) were an Emily and a Lizzie from Mielke farms. Also very pretty spindles and also good spinners. I also like plying smaller singles with the Emily. In the middle, I seem to have collected four other spindles, two gifts and two tht I bought at Stitches East, but I'm not sure what any of them are. The ones I bought are on the smaller side---about the wieght of the Bosworth minis and smaller diameter than the Lizzie.

It's funny---all the spindles have their different features, but I have to say that I like all of them, and enjoy spinning on all them. I think the next additions to my collection will be either from Golding ring spindles or a Kundert, both of which I've heard good things about on the spindlers and spindlitis Yahoo groups.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home