fiber diva

This is the chronicle of one woman's forays into knitting, crocheting, spinning, embroidery, papercrafts, and whatever else catches my fancy at any given time. Oh, and I talk about my cats a lot, too.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

And even more pics from vacation!

Still quite behind in my posting, and I do promise to write about Stitches East (11/2-11/5) and the knitting retreat (11/10-11/12), but I first wanted to get some more of the shots from Cape May up. The Christopher Gallagher house, which my little book on Victorian architecture tells me is the Second Empire style, is a private residence not far from the the Washington Street mall. Since it's not a bed and breakfast, we didn't get a chance to tour through it on either the "Inn-terior" (yeah, I don't write 'em; I just pass them along) or "Historic Haunts" tour. Though I have to say that if I were a ghost, I might want to haunt it just because!And it definitely gets a little creepier when you peer at it from a different angle!
Speaking of ghosts, this porch chair on one of the stops on the Historic Haunts tour (I'm afraid I've lost track of the name) is reputed to be haunted. Apparently, one of the former owners of the house, a slightly crotchety ex-military man, still setting of an evening, enjoying the cool sea breezes.
The Queen Victoria Inn, on the other hand, apparently does not still house any departed former owners, despite being used as a guest house from the 1930s through the 1980s (and being painted white for a good 30 years, which I would think that any self-respecting Victorian era ghost would object to!). However, according to its current owners, a second building across the street that is now part of the bed and breakfast does have a spectre or two. According to male guests who've stayed on the top floor, several of the ladies who lived there when it was a brothel are still looking for husbands to take them away from the life and have been known to tap on the doors of the guest rooms. When the inn keeper (a woman) stays on that floor, on the other hand, she rests quite undisturbed, or at least that's what she tells us
And finally, just for fun, I just thought the flower-decked streetlamp on Decatur Street made a nice composition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home