fiber diva

This is the chronicle of one woman's forays into knitting, crocheting, spinning, embroidery, papercrafts, and whatever else catches my fancy at any given time. Oh, and I talk about my cats a lot, too.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Back from vacation

Well, despite my vacation's being relatively short, I did appreciate being away for a bit. I might even feel rested. I spent a couple of days in Cape May, New Jersey, a lovely Victorian resort by the ocean. I took many, many pictures, a function of having a digital camera with a memory card that lets me take more than 300 pictures before it needs clearing off.

And in other news, I took my laptop and the software that came with the camera, and even managed to successfully install it. Now I'm able to download the pictures from the camera to the laptop, without the stop at Rite Aid to copy pics from the memory card to a CD, which is how I've gottten pictures to post before.

Course, I still have to actually sit down at the laptop and do the downloading AND I have to then write the pics to a disk so I can bring them to this computer (so much faster) and put them up here. Which is my long-winded way of saying that I don't have pictures of vacation to list yet. But they're coming.

And in the meantime, I do have some pictures of spun yarn that I had put on disk before.

This is the modular "sampler" made with my first spindle-spinning efforts. Actually the yellow in the center row, second column from the right was the very first spun yarn. The fibers were samples given out in a class that I took during the Knitting Guild of America (TKGA) meeting in July in Pennsylvania. The class was actually on working with unspun fibers, so I doubt this is what the teacher had in mind for them (my apologies there).

This is colonial wool in a pretty blue color that I bought from an e-bay store. (It's sitting in my lovely felted tote/basket my pal Sue from the first tote exchange made for me.) I thought I was spinning a worsted weight, but it's really a bulky by the time I plied it. This is the first yarn that I "set the twist" on, and then I wound it into center pull balls. But now that it's ready to be used, I have to say that I'm a little intimidated. What to make, what to make with about 500 yards of unevenly bulky blue wool yarn? hmmmm.....

This is blue-faced leicester yarn that I'm in the process of spinning, that might actually be worsted weight. I still have to do wraps per inch for it. Though as uneven as my yarn still is, I think I'll have to take measurements from several of the skeins and average them out. I also still have to set the twist for this one. I might have to hang a little weight from some of these skeins as well, since I'm still not quite getting balanced yarn yet.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger knitfriendly said…

    It looks you are a natural at spinning! Great job! :)

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger Kim in NJ said…

    Thanks so much. I'm afraid that I'm becoming a bit obsessive about it now, but at least I'm getting workable yarn (I think ;-).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home