fiber diva

This is the chronicle of one woman's forays into knitting, crocheting, spinning, embroidery, papercrafts, and whatever else catches my fancy at any given time. Oh, and I talk about my cats a lot, too.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

More pics from vaca

Trying to catch up, I'm posting a couple more pics from vacation.
Here's the famous Cape May lighthouse from a boat we'd taken around the Cape. The scenery wasn't bad, but the best part of the ride was seeing the many dolphins that apparently are so used to seeing the whale watching boats that they practically swim right up. I've heard of dolphins riding the pressure wave created in front of the boat by the water it's displacing, but these also seemed to really enjoy "surfing" on the boat's wake. It was a hoot to watch them. This is just a nice shot of the empty beach. I liked the way the fence made shadows in the sand.
And finally, 2 shots of Cape May point (the southernmost tip of NJ) at sunset. The structure out in the water in the first picture is the Concrete Ship. It was one of 38 experimental ships in WWI made of concrete because of the shortage of steel. This ship, the Atlantus, was a prototype that actually was put into service. After the war it was decommissioned and stripped. In 1926, it was towed to Cape May to be used as a reef (I believe---I've read about it but am still not sure what the plan was exactly). But it broke loose in a storm, drifted to Sunset Beach and got stuck to the point it couldn't be moved. And there it stayed as a local landmark. The amazing thing to me is how eaten away by the relentless surf the hull has become. My family have been going down to Sunset beach since I was a little kid, but I haven't been there for a couple of years and in just that little time, it seems so different. Ah, the impermanence of human-made structures! In the second picture, you can see the ferry that runs between Cape May and Lewes, Delaware, in the background.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home