fiber diva

This is the chronicle of one woman's forays into knitting, crocheting, spinning, embroidery, papercrafts, and whatever else catches my fancy at any given time. Oh, and I talk about my cats a lot, too.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving

Want to wish everyone (ok, ok, the 2 or 3 people who manage to wander past my blog) a very happy and healthy Thanksgiving. And just for giggles, here are pics from my (finally!) finished scarf and tote exchanges. First the scarf exchange:
This is the scarf that I made my pal, Kate, in Australia, and that, I'm happy to say, reached its intended recipient without any postal issues at all (yay)!
I don't know that it's the best thing I've ever done, but the yarn (silk rhapsody by artyarns, which includes a strand of silk and a strand of silk/mohair, run together) and the colors really are nice. The lace pattern was interesting, because it's not just the same number of stitches each row. Which is why it's blocked with scallops---they are really supposed to be there.

And then the wonderful scarves from my "upstream" pal, Deborah, also from Australia. She made me two (both modeled here by the shelf bear from the powder room, who also usually sports my minatiure top-down sweater. The purple and pink one is a lovely feather and fan, and the maroon is an openwork, both in mohair. Very, very pretty, and we're starting to get weather cold enough to wear them!
And a beautiful surprise that Deborah also sent: This gorgeous purple and blue handspun yarn! She had started this with the idea of making the scarf out of it, but ran out of time. So, lovely woman that she is, she sent the handspun to me. I just love it, it's such a beautiful color range.
And I'll post about the tote exchange in the next post, since blogger has decided that it's tired of putting up pics for me.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger knitfriendly said…

    Wow! I love the scarf that you made for your pal! It is beautiful! What is the pattern?

    You had a very generous scarf pal as well. Two scarves and handspun?? Happy Thanksgiving!

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a great pal you are, and what a great on you had!!

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Kim,
    Twined yarn for Swedish knitting.

    Twined knitting needs S spun (anti-clockwise) with Z ply (clockwise). Most modern yarn is the opposite and will therefore twist n tangle when knitting.

    This is the only real secret of twined knitting. Use the right yarn. I spin mine because even in Europe the right yarn is almost impossible to find. Mine will be a 3 ply, one of Shetland, one Devon longwool and one Alpaca. Also a tip for twined fairisle spin half bobbin in one colour, half another, same on all singles. Ply. Wind centre pull ball with Nostepinne or other winder, knit, knit, knit!
    I hope this helps if not email me for more info.
    Judy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home