fiber diva

This is the chronicle of one woman's forays into knitting, crocheting, spinning, embroidery, papercrafts, and whatever else catches my fancy at any given time. Oh, and I talk about my cats a lot, too.

Friday, January 26, 2007

catching up

Still trying to keep my resolution of posting on the blog at least once a week, and stil failing miserably!


Anyway, to catch up a little bit on what's going on in my life, I seem to have had a run of bad/stressful news lately. I tend not to see a silver lining in having lost my mother almost 10 years ago, but at times like this I do see one: I think I'm less rattled by times like these, when the tough events just seem to pile on. I keep thinking, "I'll get through it; I've gotten through worse." 'Course, probably part of the getting through comes from having had a great relationship with my mom, and some certainly comes from my mother's handed-down, wonderful Irish/Italian pragmatically hopeful stoicism.


But I don't want to dwell on the bad or the worrisome. So I'll suffice it to say that I could really use some good news right about now (feel free to share, if you have some), and plunge back into the world of fibery pursuits by talking a little bit about my various projects.


First up, I'm working frantically on trying to finish my red scarf, for the red scarf project, a drive of the Orphan Foundation of America. I'm making a bias scarf designed specially for the project (not by me!) and available here. I'm having my usual problem of feeling like I'm making great progress and going like gangbusters and then holding the scarf out and seeing that it's only about 2 inches longer than the last time I held it out and looked at it. Sure, sure, 2 inches is 2 inches, but you'd be surprised how long 60 inches is when the foot you thought you just finished turns out to be just 2 inches. But I need to get it mailed out in Jan, so I'm planning to get it finished over the weekend, come heck or high water (as my much-missed mom use to say)!


And around working on the scarf, I'm also finishing up several spinning exchanges. I'll post more about those when I get the pictures out of the camera.
In the meantime, here's a pic of the silk/merino that I sent my spin to knit pal for Jan. It's spun on my first spindle, the Cheap Sheep from Grafton fibers, and Andean plyed, which is the only way I know how to ply! My pal Brooke seemed to like it, or at the very least, she's polite enough to have posted good things about it on her blog! I'll be spinning another skein for her in Feb, and I'm still trying to decide what that ought to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home