fiber diva

This is the chronicle of one woman's forays into knitting, crocheting, spinning, embroidery, papercrafts, and whatever else catches my fancy at any given time. Oh, and I talk about my cats a lot, too.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

mystery yarn

So, I'm currently part of 2 swaps, in additon to the KALs. In the first swap, which I'm going to paraphrase as the Fall harvest swap, I sent at least 6 oz of fiber, plus beads and some other threads, to my downstream swap partner (Hi Linda) and received a package from my upstream partner (Hi Marianne). Now I'm supposed to be spinning my fiber (no, actually I *am* spinning my fiber; I'm *supposed to be finished* spinning my fiber), and working in the beads and whatever else I think might be fun, if I can. And then, I thought, I was supposed to send half of the spun yarn back to my upstream pal (sorry, Marianne---I'm working on it; I really am).

Brief aside---my normal lateness notwithstanding, I think the part about working in beads or other extra elements is why I'm so late getting it done. I'm completely intimidated. I've read instructions about spinning beads right onto the fiber, and even seen internet tutorials. So I should be good, right? Except that somehow I can't translate what I see with my eyes down to my fingers. hmmmfpt

But I digress. Because what I really meant to post on was a package that I recently received of a skein of plied singles---one a pretty, soft brown and the other ply a mix of red, yellow, and white. Best of all it's a really interesting texture, with the borwn thicker and the yellow/red mostly thinner. Pretty cool.
And I was expecting a skein of yarn, from my downstream pal (same as I'm sending some to my upstream). So what's the confusion, you ask? It's that this didn't come from my downstream pal. In fact, I don't think it came from any of my pals from any previous swaps either. (and I'm scrathing my head, because, I've been a member of a number of swaps....and organization isn't always my strong suit (I know, I know---you're shocked that a woman who ususally only manages to update her blog every 3 weeks claims not to be well organized---sure, it's startling to everyone ;-). So it's possible that Mallory from Little Rock, who sent me this lovely yarn, is an old pal and that I'm just blanking. But anyway I look at it, a relative stranger sent me, from several states away, something lovely she made herself.
Is this internet a great invention or what?
(And Mallory, please forgive me if I'm just being goofy not recognizing your name, and thank you for the fabulous yarn!)

2 Comments:

  • At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,

    I have found that is it easier to keep track of my swaps if I copy them, paste the info into a word doc and put it into a folder on my desk top. (of course I have my wife do this for me...hahaha.) That way you have all the info right there and you don't have to look for it.

    Keep blogging, you are quite funny. your xmas pal

     
  • At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there!
    I just dropped by to see how you are doing... funny story about the xmas yarn! Love getting goods in the mail.
    With the add-in yarn, just relax and play. If you just sit down and do it, it will come easily... let your hands follow the fiber and leave your brain out of it, and you will be just fine.
    Anyway, hope all is well in real life.
    Happy Spinning!
    Holly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home